9/15/08

Walmart: a one stop shop?

Okay, where do I start? Leah has been aching to get her ears pierced for a year. I promised on her 8th birthday, we would take her to get them done. A friend of mine took her daughter to Walmart to get her ears pierced and it only cost $12.00 (earrings included)! Wow, what a deal (and I currently don't pass up a good deal)! So when we picked up the girls from school, we went straight to Walmart to get the deed done. When we approached the jewelry counter, I was surprised and a little nervous to see only a 70 year old man named Bob working there. We should have left right then. But Leah had waited so long and was beyond excited. So Bill and I thought, "How bad can it be? He must know what he's doing if they let him work the jewelry department, right? Surely he's done this tons of times before!" As he was putting the purple dot on her lobes to mark the spot, Leah motions for me to bend down so she could whisper in my ear. She asked me why his mouth smelled so bad! I was mortified that she might hear her, but then I realized, considering his age, he probably doesn't hear very well. Leah was very brave, I must say. Obviously she was nervous and knew it was going to hurt some, but she was such a trooper.

You can see her biting her
lip in anticipation!

I love her face in this one as he
pierces the first ear! (His hands are so shaky- yikes)!
"Okay, that really hurt!" "And I still have one more to go!"


"Whew! I survived! It's over-

Wait- why are Payton and Bob searching for something on the nasty Walmart floor?" (That's right, folks, Bob somehow managed to drop the back of the earring on the ground- nice!)

"Look at my beautiful LOPSIDED earrings!" When it was over, Bill and I were dying because her left earring was way higher than her right earring. After all of that, and it wasn't done right. We gently broke it to her that she would have to her left ear re pierced. She was not happy. We tried to get her to do it then just to get it over with, but she couldn't deal with it at the moment (plus we didn't want Bob to touch her ear again!)So we came back the next day and got a woman to fix it. Leah didn't fret over it at all. She knew that it would hurt, but that girl knows how to just buck up and be brave!


(Here's a better picture to show the lopsidedness)!

1 comment:

Christy said...

OUCH, Leah!! What an adventure! You're so brave. And the earrings look beautiful on you. :)