

Leah asked me one day, "Mom, if there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, then when is Kid's Day?" To which I replied, "well, honey, everyday is Kid's Day. Your parents work hard to make sure the whole summer revolves around making the days fun for you kids." She didn't buy it. She wanted an official declaration of Kid's Day! She must've bugged me about this for weeks. So after serious reflection, I decided- why not!! My kids are special to me, and if having a Kid's Day makes them feel special- then again- why not!! Leah was ecstatic! I agreed that we would do it soon. She and Payton stayed in bed every morning thinking "this is the day" and expected to be served breakfast in bed. But each morning, they lingered to no avail. They began to murmur. The pressure was on mom and dad, and before long we said, "Stop pressuring us- we will do it when we can. You'll just have to be surprised one of these days. They agreed, but there was still the conflict of how were they to know if they should linger in bed to be surprised with breakfast, or if they should just go ahead and get up and make their own breakfast. I told them that the morning I would do this- I would tie a ribbon on the outside of their door handle. So each morning they'd wake and hurriedly check their door knob for a ribbon! Alas, the special morning arrived when Bill and I could get in sync and make french toast with strawberries and bacon and serve our posterior in bed! The girls were literally beaming! They each received a cute t-shirt from us and we took the girls bowling and out to ice cream. It wasn't anything so out of the ordinary. But the girls truly felt special that day. Bill and I did have fun doting on them and surprising them, and now I think we will make this an annual tradition- as if we have a choice!!
No comments:
Post a Comment